Thursday, October 28, 2004

Mean Girls

This is the movie that Hollywood loves to make every few years, though none have done it quite so well as Heathers. It's the usual high school "cool kids vs. the outcasts" flick, updated with the pop culture, fashions, and slang that have changed in the years that have passed since the film was last made. I actually enjoyed this one, however, in that it looked good and made me laugh pretty often. Tina Fey, previously an unknown to me as I can't be bothered to watch Saturday Night Live, has a real talent for smart dialogue. Hopefully the success of this film will allow her to move on to something a bit more subversive. I can forgive the cutesy ending and the fluff scenes (the Christmas talent show in particular) because I'm a sucker for any scene in which someone gets hit by a bus.

Bottom line: not nearly as torturous as high school itself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home