Wednesday, November 19, 2003

The Matrix Revolutions

I was one of the (seemingly) few people who really enjoyed The Matrix Reloaded; I thought the Wachowskis were hinting at a really big and mind-blowing finish in which some (if not all) of the answers to the questions we'd been asking since the first film would finally be revealed.

Boy, the joke was on me.

Instead, the third film feels like an enormous cop-out, as if giving us any answers would have been too much trouble. Scott tells me that there is an explanation lurking back there, but I'm not buying it -- you can rationalize anything if you try hard enough. The Wachowski Brothers owed us something at the end of all the philosophical bullshit, and they failed. Also, I think the end of the war with the machines should have been an actual victory of some sort, not a brokered cease-fire made possible by Agent Smith's monkeying around. Much as we all love Agent Smith, when did the big picture become about him?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home