Friday, March 10, 2006

A Prairie Home Companion - short review before I pass out

I am happy to report that Robert Altman's film version of A Prairie Home Companion did not disappoint – it has much of the warmth of the show and many of the musical moments and trademark subtle (and not so subtle) humor that made Keillor and crew famous. It does not, however, have much of a story and oddly there is no monologue from Keillor himself. If you're expecting some news from Lake Wobegon you will be disappointed. I grew up on the radio show and thus have the affection for it that makes me the movie's target audience, and I was able to forgive it the odd placement of Hollywood stars where the show's original performers (some of whom are present) would have been much more satisfying. There are purists who will hate the fact that Lindsay Lohan and Meryl Streep take up screen time, though I resist the notion that anyone could resent the appearance of Lily Tomlin. I suspect, however, that those who are unfamiliar with the program will be at something of a loss.

OK, that's it for now. Time for sleep.

3 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

Oookay.

...

I liked the way we got like 5 or 6 completely different and contradictory "how I got started in radio" stories interspersed in the movie, and they were all funny.

6:18 AM  
Blogger Christopher said...

It's a Simpsons reference. Pay him no mind.

6:48 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Yeah, I got the Simpsons reference, actually. I just don't see the relevance. But don't mind me.

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home