Wednesday, April 16, 2003

Clone Wars vs. Rogue Leader

My favorite time wasting activity of late has been getting to know my new Nintendo GameCube. I don't really have time for long and involved games like RPGs any more; I tend to play games that have finite missions, or that can be saved at any point in the game. Basically, I like to be able to pick up a game, play it for thirty minutes or an hour, and then move on to something else.

Games like Super Monkey Ball 2 or Simpsons Road Rage are great for this, but I find myself playing the two Star Wars games in my collection an awful lot.

Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II is what the original (Nintendo 64-based) Rogue Squadron should have been, and I think its creators know that, as they allow you to play several of the scenarios from the older game with the new graphics and better flight control. Other than that, it's pretty much the same: task-based missions that involve hopping into various Star Wars universe vehicles. I'm happy to say that wrapping tow cables around the legs of AT-AT walkers is much more do-able in this version than in the last, where it was practically impossible. A fun game, but after a few missions it really starts to get hard. I rely a lot on the targeting computer to spot mission objectives and to make sure I'm shooting down the important TIE fighters, not just the ones that are there to try and kill me.

Clone Wars is similar to Rogue Leader in its basic game construction, but the mechanics of the flight and combat control are substantially different. For one thing, you don't have to have pixel-perfect aim in Clone Wars; just sort of point your crosshairs in the right direction and you'll hit the target. The game makes up for this extra help by throwing more enemies your way, but it's a much more satisfying way to shoot things. Another wrinkle comes in the form of Force powers. Since you play one Jedi or another for most of the game, it only makes sense that you should be able to use the Force to enhance your performance. To keep things from being too easy, though, you have a limited allotment of Force power to use, which must regenerate over time.

Overall I prefer Clone Wars; the more forgiving game controls make for a more enjoyable experience, and once things really get going it can be just as challenging as Rogue Leader without the frustrating "why is this so hard" aspects of the older game. The occasional jaunt outside of the vehicles in Clone Wars (say, as a standalone Jedi with lightsaber, or riding atop a lizard-thing with mounted guns) provides additional entertainment. But I wish they would apply this game design to the classic Star Wars movies scenarios. Wouldn't it be cool to use your Force powers to make that TIE fighter sit still an extra second in your crosshairs, or to run around the Death Star as the elderly Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Help me Lucas Arts -- you're my only hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home