Friday, January 01, 2010

In which a good thing comes to an end. Sort of.

picIt's been five years to the day since I moved from St. Petersburg, Florida to Austin, Texas. In that time I started a family, changed careers, wrote a book, and (to my enduring delight) traveled the continent to attend a wide range of film festivals. In the last half-decade I discovered many new favorite films and had the pleasure of meeting some of their creators.

What I failed, to do, however, was to write about those movies. 2005, though we didn't realize it at the time, was the year that Scott and I began our slow crawl into retirement at Stomp Tokyo. As of today I'm acknowledging that retirement. We only managed to write one new review in 2009 (Sting of Death, for a B-Masters roundtable), so it seems silly to think of the site as merely "on hiatus" any longer. With the glut of movie review sites out there, it feels even more foolish to try and prod this one back to life when our hearts just aren't in it.

This is not the end. The site will continue to see updates, including the reposting of old reviews into our new format. Dr. Freex still posts new reviews to Attack of the 50 Foot DVD and Scott is in the middle of another "season" of his "100 Days, 100 Movies" series. Various arms of the Stomp Tokyo octopus twitch even now. For my part, I will make an effort here on Blue Glow to highlight new discoveries as I see them. You can always find me at Film Festival Secrets if that interests you, or you can just keep up with me on Twitter.

And then there's that half-finished book on giant monster movies. Who knows what the next five years will bring?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Niki said...

What a bittersweet moment.

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home