Friday, April 14, 2006

Rethinking theaters

I don't think I've addressed the topic of the movie theater-going experience on this blog, at least not recently, but I've had conversations with many people over the last year about the recent decline in theater revenues and one of the companies I work for, Bside Entertainment deals in bringing small independent films to theaters. It's a topic that has been on my mind quite a bit lately, especially when I compare the theater experience at Austin's Alamo Drafthouse with the local Regal chains. The multiplex experience is so very broken, and the film blogosphere is abuzz with ideas about how to fix it.

Mark Glaser at PBS weighs in with his thoughts about the theater and the concept of the Long Tail.
What if each multiplex had its own theme for the movies it shows? One might be known for great dramas, another for comedies, another for horror flicks.
I'm not convinced that the content is as much the problem at multiplexes as the presentation and atmosphere – audiences that have become accustomed to talking to one another and on their cell phones during movies, terrible food, surly staff, and pre-show advertising – but I'd certainly be happy if theater owners started paying more attention to what it's like to be a moviegoer.

Got thoughts about the best and worst theaters you've been to recently? Leave them in the comments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home