Thursday, June 30, 2005

King Kong trailer and doomsaying

I’ve read a lot of different blogs lately about the new trailer for Peter Jackson’s upcoming King Kong remake. Many of them show the expected enthusiasm, but a good number of them complain about substandard CGI, bad acting from Jack Black, and a “lack of originality."

To which I say: what the heck are you talking about?

Complaints about the Star Wars prequel trilogy I can understand. Those pictures sucked despite promising trailers and top-notch effects. (Though I will still defend The Phantom Menace as the sort of hyperactive kid’s flick that Lucas was born to make.) But to dismiss Jackson's cinematic career as a whole and to decry Lord of the Rings as "a fluke" based on 30 seconds of a trailer that doesn't happen to fit your preconceived notions of an updated classic? Some folks could do with a trip to the dictionary, where they might find themselves listed under the word "hubris."

I'm not saying Jackson can do no wrong (personally I couldn't watch more than about the first thirty minutes of Meet the Feebles), but sometimes the internet buzz machine really gets me down.

2 Comments:

Blogger David Lee Ingersoll said...

Unfortunately Sturgeon's Law applies to people's opinions as well as it does to everything else. Loved every second of the preview. Can't wait for the movie. Will it be better than the original? Stupid question. There's seventy years of societal, technological and cinematic evolution between the original and Jackson's film. They may be telling the same story but the tools and the thought process behind their creations come from different worlds.

2:06 PM  
Blogger AmyMo said...

I think the trailer rocks. And honestly, I had very little interest in the remake until I watched it. Now? I cannot freaking wait to see this film.

6:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home